Environment, Man and Nature

This blog was meant as an assignment to explore my journey of thoughts through my environmental concepts 2000 course at the University of Manitoba. I will now continue to write on this blog, so I can follow my journey through my studies.



Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blog 3- Wapusk National Park

I think Parks could meet dual mandate of protecting it's species and allowing access to humans to enjoy their beauties. The Parks need to educate people more on how to leave less of a footprint when entering this realm. Education would give a great work opportunity for local Native Americans of the area because they are the ones that know the land and animals best. Education of wild animals is not done in zoos, it is best done where the animal is at ease, in a natural environment. We have seen the other day what an animal in capture can do, there was a killer whale who recently killed its trainer that had been working with the whale for years. The trainer was a 14 year experienced trainer who trusted the whale. Animals are always unpredictable. I learned this when I started horse-backriding as a child. Horses most definetly have a mind of their own and will listen when they want to. No matter how much time you spenc with them, they are meant to be wild. I've gotten bucked off by horses so many times, ran over, and I've to hold on for my dear life so many times. This explains that animals are wild and zoos should see attacks such as the killer whale as a reason to stop this animal cruelty. National Parks and protected aread around the world need to introduce an education program that allows visitors to enter these areas only with Natives of the area. There we can all learn to appreciate Natural life, land, plants, and the animals. This is important because we are losing our connection to land and animals.

Wapusk National Park is a very remote Northern park that is home for many polar bears. The park should most definetly limit access to visitors because it is a very fragile area. Polar Bears are facing huge dangers of extinction, and by humans going up there coming in contact with the bears puts humans at great risk of attacks. The bears that attack are immediately put down, either relocated or killed. Wapusk needs to minimize the human-bear contacts for the well-being of both parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment