Environment, Man and Nature

This blog was meant as an assignment to explore my journey of thoughts through my environmental concepts 2000 course at the University of Manitoba. I will now continue to write on this blog, so I can follow my journey through my studies.



Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blog 5- Afflenza

Affluenza is a socially contagious condition of the desire to want more things. There is huge evidence around me that this condition is valid and that it is only becoming worst. When I reflect on the people around (my family) I do not see a lack of time, but I do see connections to things that are irrelevant but are a huge part of their lives. For example, my sister has been working for the last 7 years at the same place, which is dont get me wrong a very good thing, but she has not been able to take a vacation in 5 years. She has worked monday to friday every week for the past 5 years. This is shocking to me because her employment could do without her for a bit but they discourage her to take time off. Work is a very important part of all of our lives but everyone needs to get away and meditate, enjoy themselves, relax, and rejuvenate.
Why do we work so much and why is it never enough?
We all work because life in North America requires many things; we need warm clothes, a home, a car, food, and entertainment. These are basic needs which some we could do without but most of us do have them. In North America there is an image put out that values individualism not relationships, family or communities. This image makes us believe we need to look a certain way, or have certain things, but that feeling of fulfillment only last a certain time, then we need to work, rush and do more and more overtime to feel that fulfillment again. The truth is that feeling cna be filled with family and a sense of belonging to something. In my household we value family greatly, I have two older sisters, whom are both on vacation right now and I miss them dearly. My brother-in-laws are gone and so is my one month niece. When they are around I enjoy spending time with them. I always have questions for my older sisters and they are always there to answer them. I am not a materialistic women, I have a car that gets me from point A to point B, and a job that pays the bills while I'm in school. A very good example to prove that I do not suffer from affluenza is that me and my boyfriend plan on getting married this summer and I told him to not get me a ring, well I did say get me a ring made of bamboo for the significance. The point here is he makes me happy, and a legal document proving we are bonded together would make our lives so much easier.
Affluenza can easily be fought, simply by spending more time well not spending money for one, and being outdoors connecting with life whether it be a person, an animal or the supernatural world you feel when entering a forest. Spending time outdoors reduces stress levels significantly, does not cost any money, and is good for your health since your body is exercising itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment