Environment, Man and Nature

This blog was meant as an assignment to explore my journey of thoughts through my environmental concepts 2000 course at the University of Manitoba. I will now continue to write on this blog, so I can follow my journey through my studies.



Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blog 5- Voluntary Simplicity

Voluntary Simplicity is a way of life that will fight affluenza. Our American culture has seismicaly shifted to a consumer culture that has impoverished the meaning of wealth. The word wealth now means materials, aesthetics and intelligence but what it represents trully is what we make of it. Wealth means health, social acceptance, healthy ecology, spiritually connected and intellectual. We must learn to live a simpler, more sustainable life.
In a way wealth is what is left when material is taken away. The raw picture of your life is not represented by money or cars.
We must live a self-sufficient self and learn how to live life to its fullest. The following link describes voluntary simplicity and encourages you, ironically, to buy magazines that can help you determine what is it that makes you happy. http://www.simpleliving.net/
My values are headed in the right direction, I have a man who discourages me from purchasing things I do not need and I love him for that. We enjoy going out and spending money on nice dinners but we enjoy so much just staying home and interacting with each other. I live in the country so I do not have the oportunity to buy many clothes other than when I go to the city for school. I do admit that when I am in the city I get that urge to go buy myself something regardless of what it is I always need something. I usually stop myself, I try to sleep on the idea of if I really need that thing, whether it be shoes or a new jacket. I do know that being surrounded by consumers all the time does give me the urge to want those things too but I know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment